Thursday, July 15, 2010

I'm Not Going To Play In The 2011 All-Star Game

Brewers pitcher Yovanni Gallardo has made it clear: IF he makes the Major League Baseball All-Star team in 2011, and IF the game is still going to be played at the Diamondbacks’ ball park in Arizona, he will boycott the game and won’t play.

Let me go on the record right now as well: if I’m named to the Major League Baseball All-Star team in 2011, and it’s still scheduled to be played in Arizona, I won’t play, either. But if they move the game to the Duck Pond at Warner Park in Madison, I’m in.

And while I’m at it, I’d like to inform NASCAR that if they hold another Sprint Cup race at the racetrack in Phoenix, I’m not going to compete in it; I’m not even going to watch it on TV. Unless they decide to move it to the Madison International Speedway just outside the city in the pleasant suburb of Oregon.

Oh yes, one more thing: if the NHL continues to allow the Phoenix Coyotes to play their games in Arizona, I’m going to refuse to put on my skates and pads and jersey, and I won’t consider skating in an NHL game unless they move the Phoenix franchise to Madison, and play all their games at the Kohl Center.

That oughtta show ‘em! And don’t even get me started about the Phoenix Suns of the NBA.

There’s so much political posturing and fake outrage going on about the new immigration laws that will take affect in Arizona in a few days. Most polls say about 60% of Americans are in favor of the tougher law, but it’s become more a political football than anything else.

Just a couple days ago, Wisconsin Democratic Governor Jim Doyle again slapped down our Republican Attorney General, J B VanHollen, who sought permission (he can’t do it without an OK from the guv or the state legislature) to have Wisconsin join Michigan’s legal brief in support of Arizona’s new law.

Political grandstanding, again. It’s all about the fall elections, sports fans.

And to the Brewers pitcher who says he’ll boycott the All-Star game next year if he’s named to the team and the game is still in Arizona: why don’t you just expend your energies in trying to insure that you ARE named to the All-Star team next year. Get off the 15-day disabled list, get to work getting your won-lost record better and your ERA lower. (Yah, I know – he’s 8-4 right now with an ERA of 2.58, which makes him a star with the Brewers.)

As the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words, and imagine how much more impact your statement would have if you actually WERE named to the All-Star team.

No comments:

Post a Comment